Does your heart tends to quicken or do you feel a tinge of anxiety before it’s your turn to speak or to start a presentation?
Why don’t you try this calming breathing technique:
- Sit tall and comfortably; you can do this anywhere
- You can close your eyes but you don’t have to; just assume an easy gaze
- Inhale evenly to the count of two, hold your breath for a count of one
- Exhale evenly to the count of four, hold your breath for a count of one
- Repeat for a couple of minutes
Making your exhale longer than your inhale affects your nervous system. It turns down your sympathetic system that controls your fight or flight impulses and turns up your parasympathic system, helping you to relax and calm down. Pretty neat, no?